Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Southern California

My sister and brother in law and my DD#2 all live in Southern California. I went west for a visit. I have been back a week and I am barely getting myself functional again.  Maybe the reason I stay home a lot. :)

My DD took me to Griffin Observatory (That might not be the exact name ). We went up a twisty road to the top of a mountain. Scared me. You gotta remember that I am a flat lander. I live in Illinois, and we don't have hills let alone mountains.

Inside the observatory there was a really cool instillation of 'space' jewelry. In one long hall there were so many pieces of jewelry that were stars, moons, and sun shapes. It was so cool, but too dark to get a good picture.

There were also many different views of L.A.  all around the observatory. Complete with smog layer.


And of course a selfie of my DD and I up on top of the mountain.

Outside of the observatory the different orbits of the planets were identified by a small plaque and a circle etched into the concrete. I had to take the picture of the one for Pluto. Is Pluto a planet again? I think it is.  In any case Pluto was identified by Clyde Tombaugh, a distant cousin of mine. We never met but Pluto became my favorite planet (after earth of course) when I learned about Clyde.

I have more of my trip to show and tell. And I never got my Aurifil blocks posted so that is coming up as well.

Happy Stitching.

4 comments:

  1. I lived there for 29 years and never visited Griffith Observatory! The jewelry sounds great - would love to have seen it. And yep, that's LA smog all right. (Though it's much better than it used to be.)

    Your daughter is so cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I went to that observatory many years ago. We were in California also recently and after our visit we both agreed that it is beautiful and nice to visit, but we wouldn't want to live there. Too bad you weren't with us on our drive through the mountains near Yosemite! It was quite something!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the smiles, I'm guessing everyone had a wonderful time and enjoyed seeing all those places. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete