Sunday, September 14, 2014

ouch

It always seems to surprise me when I see how long it has been since my last post.  I am not sure why, I am really not busy so I have no excuse.

What is the ouch about in the title?

Four weeks ago I was taking some hangers down to the basement when I half missed a step. Just enough to twist my ankle and fall down the last two or three steps. I tried to get up but that was not happening.  The hubby was outside so I crawled up the stairs and called out the door for him. I crawled up the next flight of stairs to the apartment. The hubby wanted to help me onto the couch. It was too much for me. I stayed on the floor. He wanted to head to the ER but I said wait a while. He went out to clean up what he was doing. I crawled to the bathtub thinking a little soak and I would feel better. NOT Poor hubby had to help me out of the tub and help me get dressed. Then we did head for the ER.

The ER DR came in and said he didn't think he would have to reduce the  ankle (put the bones back in alignment) but he needed the xrays first.  A few minutes went by and the nurse came in and announced that the Dr would need to reduce the fracture and she started getting everything ready.  About 3 minutes later the DR came in and said no reduction. The ankle is fractured in three places and surgery would be needed. I am not sure which was worse news.

I was sent to the ortho unit with surgery to be done the next day. I said "on Sunday?"  They said yes. The ER had put a soft cast on my ankle and that helped a bit. So did the medication they were shooting into me. Normally I am not a fan of strong pain meds but just then I was like "yes pain meds please".

Surgery went smoothly I am told. Plate and screws on one side of my ankle and screws only on the the other side. A new soft cast was on my foot and ice packs on top of that. On Monday I was released to go home. With instructions of no weight bearing for 6-8 weeks. And also no walker, crutches, wheelchair nothing. Just a referral to a lending closet in my area.  On the way home we went and borrowed a walker from my dad. He doesn't use it.

I am healing but still non weight bearing. The apartment I live in is on the second story of a non elevator building. I can not leave the apartment on my own. My big activity of the day is bumping down the stairs on my bum then kneeling in the doorway to let the dog out. And then crawling back up the stairs. I do have a knee walker which is sooo much better than the walker so inside is better.

I can hardly wait to walk again. And drive. And not crawl.

I have done a little sewing, mostly just the BOM. I will show you the newest pics in another post.

Happy stitching.

8 comments:

  1. Oh Beth! I wish I lived closer so I could help you out a bit. Is there no neighbor who could help let the dog out for you? I'm sure you already know not to rush the walking and risk taking even longer to heal, but I could see the extreme temptation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a heartbreaking story! I can't imagine not being able to do as I please for 6-8 weeks! From the pictures, it looks like both feet/legs are injured; is that right? Neither can I imagine your problem of letting the dogs out; surely there is someone close by who could do that. Do take care of yourself as you try to do the necessary things, and even some quilting. I'll be praying for your speedy recovery! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, at least with surgery they give you anesthetic. With a reduction I think you just have to grit your teeth or bite a bullet or something. But surgery is no joke!

    Be careful on those stairs, and hang in there. Hope the time passes as quickly as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, dear! That does not sound like fun at all and too bad you have stairs to contend with. That really puts a crimp in your style, but you just have to bear with it so it can heal. Let's hope the time passes quickly for you and you can do some sewing while you are holed up in your apartment. I hope you are getting pampered at least a little!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Beth, that just makes me cringe! I'm so sorry to hear of your fall. I know staying off of it will be hard, but follow the doctors orders so you heal quickly. It sounds almost like the break my GS had a couple years ago but he got his jumping out of a plane. If the falling down the stairs story gets boring, tell people it was a skydiving accident! Hope you are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch Is Right! I Hope You Heal Quickly And Can Be Up And About Soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my, goodness! I came to visit your blog and saw this...wowzers! That is definitely an ouch! I hope you're doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. On the other hand, if you ever are unable to pay the high-priced versions, it's not at all a new louis vuitton replica uk to get reasonably priced luggage. Only make sure your handbag could hold your current digicam goods without difficulty along with security. Camcorders are pricey, consequently effortlessly you wish to have a very ideal handbag to handle your current important object. Consequently should you be going, make sure that anyone chanel outlet the idea with your backpack in lieu of holding the idea all-around. Luggage involving platinum are common with regards to luggage. This site is centered on luggage! You'll find kinds of luggage around we may attribute below. I like luggage in fact it is evident and then. My spouse and i perhaps commenced amassing chanel outlet sorts of luggage a couple of years previously. Luggage feature distinct hues, styles, patterns, along with forms. I favor rounded along with duffel-like luggage for the go walking inside car park. In relation to functions, I love to employ smaller luggage that will go with large involving our sneakers. My spouse and i speculate which kind of handbag you have divorce lawyers atlanta celebration anyone tackle. Effectively, My spouse and i inquired your problem since I think that will personality is vital. Aren't comply with manner louis vuitton outlet uk nevertheless almost all of the periods you should show our self. Regarding your luggage many of us normally employ, the idea often echoes in the means you should always be acknowledged pertaining to. Generally, folks forget about these products mainly because louis vuitton replica desire a new considerably less high-priced handbag.

    ReplyDelete