Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy New Year and catching up

Wishing everyone a happy, healthy 2015.

This time I am not surprised that it has been so long since I posted.  It seemed that being unable to walk was going to be the worst of my recovery. Actually each phase had its own challenges. It was pretty painful to start walking again without the boot. And do not even get me started on Physical Therapy. I am sort of half kidding about therapy. My therapists were great and I don't think that I would be walking as well as I am without them pushing me along. Yesterday was my last day of therapy. Now I have to keep up my exercises at home.

While I was stuck at home I worked on a couple of wool projects that were started and then just put away. One was about half stitched and still needed wool pennies made and sewn on. The other needed all the hand stitching done.  The penny rug was not done the same as I have done before and I just didn't like how they were looking. I took them off and just stitched the back onto the wool. Not my favorite piece, but it is done. The second one I want to get framed.

Over the last few weeks I did a crochet along. I have not really done much crochet in years. Hardly any in fact. I wasn't sure that I could finish this blanket, but it was so bright and happy that I had to play along. I actually kept up and finished the final round of the edging this week. Gasp...


Pat Sloan is hosting her New Years luau again this year. (Virtual luau of course). The challenge this year, working on those pesky UFOs..  I worked on a quilt called Traffic Jam, it is a free pattern on Pat's site. The sashing was added and then the center of the top put together.  I still have to calculate how many pieces I need to make the pieced borders.

I also pulled out the center of the sew along quilt that I started last year.  Randy of Barrister's Block and Lori of Humble Quilts collaborated on this quilt and hosted the sew along. Instructions are still available on their blogs. (Check June 2013). I got the first pieced border sewn and put on. There is also a narrow plain border on it. I still have another pieced border, a narrow border, and an applique border to get done and onto the top.  I plan to keep it moving.

This little cutie is a pattern that I did as a block of the month. It is Garden Baskets by Primitive Gatherings. I finished the applique blocks on schedule and have them sewn together. This one will have a pieced border too. What the heck?  Are they UFOs because of the pieced borders?


Hoping to blog more often this year.
Happy Stitching,
Beth

11 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are healing, though I'm sure it hasn't been an easy few months for you. You seem to have gotten a few things done in the meantime. The crocheted blanket is bright enough to have lifted your spirits a little! Have a great 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you are on the mend and out of therapy. Everyone I know who has had to endure therapy hated it! Looks like you got quite a bit accomplished while you were "down". All the quilts are looking great. I love, love the crocheted blanket! Wish I could do that. It is gorgeous! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pleased to read that you are making such good progress Beth. It was a nasty break for sure. You certainly have some nice projects on the go - I guess if you can tackle all these there is no excuse for me not to finish my three UFOs. Ann :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you're getting better! Sounds like it was pretty rough :(
    You made some great headway on some projects, which is good. Hope 2015 brings nothing but goodness to you

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is nice to hear you are improving! Keep up those exercises to keep the progress going. Eventhough you have been slowed down while healing, you accomplished quite a bit! Everything looks great, I love the little garden baskets and your medallion quilt is coming along. I'll be looking forward to some finishes this year! Hope you are feeling back to your former self soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really had a long haul to recovery! I'm glad you are pretty much there and it looks like you got some sewing accomplished along the way. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear PT does not stand for Physical Therapy, but Pain and Torture! I'm glad to hear you're up and walking again and it sure looks like you had a productive year with quilty stuff. Here's to hoping 2015 is a good year for finishing UFOs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year!
    You got a lot done. Your wool pieces are really nice and so are your other quilty projects. What a great modern afgan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Beth, so glad to hear you got your cast off! Watch out for those PT folks ... sometimes I think they just like to make people hurt. :) (Of course I'm kidding.)

    Your projects are lovely - I like that rug. The Traffic Jam quilt is so fun. And you finished a crochet BLANKET! That is something I've never been able to do.

    Hope your healing continues to go smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year, my friend! Your designs are fresh and beautiful. Please send me one as a New Year gift.

    Heln@tefl classes

    ReplyDelete