Saturday, December 24, 2011

The last of the precut strip projects

As I mentioned in my last post I did the last session of the precut club the week of December 12th. It was so much fun  to do. Lots of sewing, but lots of fun. In February I will start precuts using charm squares. That should be really great because I am addicted to those little packs of charms. I just can't resist them. I collected a large stack of charm packs. This will be a great way to get into them and make some projects. I will be doing something else new at the shop next year.A Block of the Month for beginners. You know I love those BOMs but it will be totally different to be presenting it. (Wish me luck). I will post more on that later.

The first project of the last session was a quilt carrier. The construction was so easy. It is constructed as a large flat piece and uses a quilt as you go method of construction. Handles are sewn on to the back, casings on the long sides and snaps on the short sides. Some cording goes through the casing on the long sides and you just pull to fit. (Drawstring). snap the top and off you go. This thing is huge and a great way to carry quilts for show and tell, or bindings in progress. The pattern is in the book Jelly Roll Quilts by Pam & Nicki Lintott

I made this pillow case from the Moda Bake Shop. The cuff is all pieced strips. Sew them together to get the right size then press in half and stitch to the body the the case. You end up with a pretty pillow to sleep on.

This little pincushion was so fast to stitch together. Just a small strip pieced set. Sew to the backing RST and flip it right sides out and stuff. This is from the Moda Bake Shop too. I made 6 of them and used them for door prizes.

I seem to collect bags too. Bags for small projects and big projects. This tote bag was on the Bake Shop as a diaper bag, but why limit its use? It has outside pockets that wrap around the whole bag. You can stitch them to form separate sections whatever size you want. Mine has five sections. That wrap around pocket is made of the strips set.  I though it would be a great travel bag. Or even an everyday purse.

The bag was paired with a coin quilt, so I used the left overs from my strip sets to make a coin quilt too. (OK mine is just a top, but I had lots to sew LOL). It is a nice baby size or lap size quilt. If I were flying I would tuck it into the bag and have my comfy quilt for the flight. (It doesn't really show up well on my white flannel, but you can see the coins.

I will post the rest of the projects soon.
Happy stitching.

2 comments:

  1. What wonderful projects!! I would love to make one of each. :) Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete